As a result of the rapidly changing situation with COVID-19, all college events and facility rentals on and off campus are cancelled until further notice. Information regarding events can be found at our Mohawk College COVID-19 information website and will be updated frequently.
Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions or concerns.
A positive volunteer experience is our first priority. Whether you are volunteering with Mohawk or a community group, we encourage you to do your due diligence and ask the following questions before getting involved:
What health and safety protocols, including any COVID-19 related protocols, are put in place to protect volunteers?
How will I receive training for this volunteer role?
Who will be my direct supervisor? Who can I contact if I have questions or concerns and my supervisor is unavailable?
Disclaimer: External organizations listed on this site are not always affiliated with Mohawk College. Volunteers should visit community organization websites to learn more about them. Volunteers should never send money or banking information to these organizations.
Pathways to Education is a community based program designed to reduce poverty and its effects by increasing the graduation rate among high school students from economically disadvantaged communities. The program offers academic, social, financial, and advocacy support to youth in order to increase their opportunity for success in high school and beyond.
Pathways to Education Volunteer Tutors work directly with youth participants supporting them academically and socially. The volunteer role is focused on academic tutoring support, but also provides informal social supports to youth participants.
Skills and Requirements
• Be able to support high school youth academically in one of our priority subject areas: Math, Science, English, French, and English as a Second Language
• Participate consistently in program sessions, attending one session per week at the assigned location
• Build and maintain positive rapport with Pathways to Education youth participants
• Maintain a positive and upbeat demeanor with all youth
• Display care, compassion, patience and understanding
• Bilingual in French or Arabic is a strong asset
Duties and Responsibilities
• Supporting high school youth academically during each program session
• Working with youth to complete homework activities, prepare for tests or work on assignments and projects
• Working both one-to-one and in small groups
• Engaging youth in alternative academic activities provided by the program
• Acting as a positive adult role model during interactions with youth participants
• Occasional involvement in skill building workshops or recreational activities may be required
• Please Note: Pathway to Education is offered both in-person and through virtual sessions
Pathways to Education volunteers are asked to commit 1 evening per week, Monday to Thursday, during our program times 4:00 pm – 7:00 pm, at one of our two locations in central Hamilton or online during virtual sessions
To learn more about becoming a Pathways to Education Volunteer, please contact Pathways to Education at 905-523-6719 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact Pathways at: