Mission Services is hosting a Christmas Care Program as part of their holiday program. This program serves over 1,000 families during the holiday season and more than 1,600 children.
Volunteers are needed to assist with Christmas Care Program.
Responsibilities of Volunteer:
- Welcome and engage with community members waiting for intake at the Good Food Centre.
- Assist with organizing and restocking gifts and toys in gift room.
- Assist with sorting and organizing food in the Food Bank and restocking shelves.
- Re-package food donations into size appropriate bags for distribution.
- Make referrals to available resources; consult with staff when unsure of information.
Transportation from Fennell Campus and lunch will be provided.
Two shifts are available:
9:00 am- 12:30 pm and 1:00 pm- 4:00 pm
Come out and have some fun with families at the Ronald McDonald House! Campus to Community hosts a weekly Family Games Night at the House where we play board games, do crafts and activities, and put smiles on faces.
Volunteers provide relief for families of children staying at the McMaster Children's Hospital.
For more information please contact Michela Magliocco
All volunteers must have a Criminal Record Check prior to their first shift.
Common Grounds is run in partnership with Wesley Urban Ministries’ Neighbourhood and Newcomer Services program.
Common Grounds student volunteers meet with newcomer Syrian refugees in cafés, engaging them in conversation and companionship. The goal is to help them improve speaking skills and to help them feel a sense of inclusion and connection within their community.
We will be meeting at Wesley every Friday
Neighbour to Neighbour is hosting a Turkey Drive at Fortinos as part of their Holiday Program. This program provides celebration essentials to over 1,600 families over the course of the first 3 weeks in December.
Within two weeks, the donated turkeys will be delivered to those clients who, because of medial reasons, are unable to come in person to pick up food for their holiday celebration of large families who visit their food bank.
Volunteer Roles include:
- Entrance volunteer: lets customers know as they enter the store that all turkeys donated that day will benefit Neighbour to Neighbour
- Meat department volunteer: answers questions about the turkey drive, Neighrbour to Neighbour, and the Christmas program (information will be provided ahead of time so volunteers are comfortable speaking to customers)
- Check out volunteer: receives the turkey donations from customers and takes the turkeys to the designated refrigerated area
There are two shifts available:
Have you got some extra time to help out on campus?
We are selling popcorn, building can structures, and promoting our 3rd annual Campus to Community Food Drive on campus! Come lend a hand and start making a difference in your community!
Don't have time but still want to contribute?
Bring in a new toy or some non-perishable food items and drop them off in any Student Life office
Join our Campus to Community team of volunteers at the Boys and Girls Clubs of Hamilton Purnell Centre! Help lead fun activities and games for kids aged 6-14.
- Help walk kids to the gym facility at a nearby school
- Execute fun activities and games
- Interact with kids in a positive manner and ensure safety
All volunteers must obtain a Vulnerable Sector Screening. VSS checks can be reimbursed by Campus to Community staff after volunteering with the program for at least 5 hours.
Neighbour to Neighbour is looking for Kitchen Volunteers to assist with many different tasks in our community kitchen.
The kitchen volunteer will support the community chef in preparing foods for various programs at the centre including community meals.
Responsibilities of the kitchen volunteer include helping prepare healthy, delicious meals for service to community members, various tasks in handling, preparation, cooking, service and storage of food, work within a scheduled time frame, work within a set plan and focus on specific tasks, ensure proper safe handling, labeling and storage of foods, keep kitchen clean and organized, and share the responsibility of washing dishes and sweeping and mopping floors.
Estimated Time Commitment
For more information please contact Hannah Armstrong
The Student Life department is looking for volunteers to assist with Neighbour to Neighbour's math success program.
The math success program provides math tutoring and math homework help for select students from Westview and Annunciation of Our Lord Schools who are in grades 7 & 8.
The goal of this program are to provide students with the opportunity to improve their math skills, build self-confidence, and support their transition into high school.
Those who love math and enjoy working with students are encouraged to apply.
Commitment: A weekly commitment of 1-3 sessions. Must attend training prior to volunteering.
Neighbour to Neighbour Centre's mission is to lead our community to an improved quality of life.
Choose between a Food Bank Clerk Volunteer or a Warehouse Volunteer:
Food Bank Clerk Volunteers are responsible for assisting, in a sensitive manner, individuals and families with their shopping. Volunteers ensure that shoppers understand our point system, and answer questions about specials and limits.
Warehouse volunteers are essential to the Neighbour to Neighbour Food Bank service. Warehouse volunteers ensure that donated food items are immediately accessible in the Food Bank, overstock is neatly organized and labelled, all inventory is safe to serve and rotated according to expiry date, and that the warehouse is a neat, clean, organized and safe space for efficient inventory management and volunteer participation in a positive, productive environment.
Abilities, Knowledge, Skills:
- Dependable, reliable, honest, punctual
- Ability and willingness to work effectively as a team member
- Customer-service oriented and committed to the needs of the individuals accessing the food bank
- Ability to understand & speak different languages is an asset
Must attend an Info & Orientation Session prior to volunteering