As a result of the rapidly changing situation with COVID-19, all college events and facility rentals on and off campus are cancelled until further notice. Information regarding events can be found at our Mohawk College COVID-19 information website and will be updated frequently.
Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions or concerns.
A positive volunteer experience is our first priority. Whether you are volunteering with Mohawk or a community group, we encourage you to do your due diligence and ask the following questions before getting involved:
What health and safety protocols, including any COVID-19 related protocols, are put in place to protect volunteers?
How will I receive training for this volunteer role?
Who will be my direct supervisor? Who can I contact if I have questions or concerns and my supervisor is unavailable?
Disclaimer: External organizations listed on this site are not always affiliated with Mohawk College. Volunteers should visit community organization websites to learn more about them. Volunteers should never send money or banking information to these organizations.
Certified Listeners' mission is to enhance people's lives by offering them emotional support. Through meaningful conversations and active listening, they can make a positive impact in the lives of many around the world. When it comes to emotional support, they believe in being proactive. This means that they don't wait for individuals to call them for help. Instead, they go out of their way to find people in need.
They are looking for dedicated, committed and skilled volunteers to join their team. If you consider yourself empathetic, a strong communicator, and reliable, they'd love to hear from you!
The Emotional Chat Volunteer, also known as a Certified Listener, provides emotional support on the online chat platform and provides support to chatters who are in distress and emotional. As a Certified Listener, you do not act as a therapist, tell others what to do, or provide crisis intervention or addiction counseling. There will be proper training provided before taking support chats and this is an opportunity to gain more life skills.
- Provide immediate and confidential support that adheres by the agency procedures and policies
- Complete the weekly designated shifts and reporting to the Certified Listener supervisor and coordinator
- Work with callers/chatters, volunteers and staff in a respectful and professional manner
- Letting chatter know someone listens and cares
- Letting the chatter know that there is someone available to provide individual support
- Managing relationships and having conversations with empathy on the online platform
- Ongoing training, development and support from the team
- Excellent communication skill and computer literate
- Proficiency in the written English language
- Capacity to remain calm and collected in challenging situations
- Non-judgmental and accepting of the various values and beliefs of others
- Ability to work independently
- Access to reliable internet and a private workspace from home
- Adherence to Certified Listeners Society policies, procedures and online chat guidelines
- 18+ Years Old
- Two references (professional, academic or volunteer-related)
- Police reference check, including vulnerable sector screening
- Successful completion of all comprehensive Core Competencies training programs, quizzes, and screening process
- Reliability in fulfilling weekly shift commitments
- Comply with Certified Listeners Society policies and procedures and our Code of Ethics
- Maintain a confidential workplace as well as confidentiality about your work
- Sign and comply to our Volunteer Non-Disclosure Agreement
- Participation in ongoing training and work relation development opportunities
- You are expected to complete weekly shifts and choose from the best time that suits you from the six designated timing.
- You can work at least 2 to 3 4-hour shifts per week after completion of screening and training.
How to Apply:
- People who are interested and would love to volunteer with us should apply by clicking the following link: https://bit.ly/3eg2K7B.
- If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to message firstname.lastname@example.org.
Feel free to check them out on: