A positive volunteer experience is our first priority. Whether you are volunteering with Mohawk or a community group, we encourage you to do your due diligence and ask the following questions before getting involved:
- What health and safety protocols, including any COVID-19 related protocols, are put in place to protect volunteers?
- How will I receive training for this volunteer role?
- Who will be my direct supervisor? Who can I contact if I have questions or concerns and my supervisor is unavailable?
Disclaimer: External organizations listed on this site are not always affiliated with Mohawk College. Volunteers should visit community organization websites to learn more about them. Volunteers should never send money or banking information to these organizations.
Pathways to Education Volunteer Tutors work directly with youth participants supporting them academically and socially. The Volunteer Tutor is focused on Academic Tutoring support, but also provides informal social supports to youth participants.
Skills and Requirements
· Be able to support high school youth academically in one of our priority subject areas: Math, Science, English, French, English as a Second Language
· To participate consistently in program sessions, attending one session per week at the assigned location
· Build and maintain positive rapport with Pathways to Education youth participants
· To maintain a positive and upbeat demeanor with all youth
· Display care, compassion, patience and understanding
· Arabic or French language ability is a strong asset
Duties and Responsibilities
· Supporting high school youth academically during each program session
· Working with youth to complete homework activities, prepare for tests or work on assignments and projects
· Engaging youth in alternative academic activities provided by the program
· Acting as a positive adult role model during interactions with youth participants
· Occasional involvement in skill building workshops or recreational activities
Pathways to Education volunteers are asked to commit 1 evening per week, Monday to Thursday, during our program times 4 pm – 7 pm, at one of our location locations in central Hamilton or through our virtual program.
If interested apply on the website listed below. For more information, please email