A positive volunteer experience is our first priority. Whether you are volunteering with Mohawk or a community group, we encourage you to do your due diligence and ask the following questions before getting involved:
- What health and safety protocols, including any COVID-19 related protocols, are put in place to protect volunteers?
- How will I receive training for this volunteer role?
- Who will be my direct supervisor? Who can I contact if I have questions or concerns and my supervisor is unavailable?
Disclaimer: External organizations listed on this site are not always affiliated with Mohawk College. Volunteers should visit community organization websites to learn more about them. Volunteers should never send money or banking information to these organizations.
Do you want to volunteer and take action for your community and for your future?
Through Youth Challenge International’s (YCI) Innovate MY Future program, GTHA youth, aged 16-24, collaborate virtually and in person within local teams to tackle climate issues and design community-based projects to make an impact.
Join YCI to become a Climate Action Catalyst to build skills, network and take climate action in your community! Climate Action Catalyst volunteers receive training, mentorship, grant funding and resources to design and implement a climate action project in their communities while gaining resume-building skills and experience along the way.
The details & time commitment:
- This is an 8-month volunteer program from July to February. Volunteers contribute 120 hours in total (approximately 4 hours per week) to attend trainings and coaching meetings and to collaborate with YCI, your local partner and your team.
- July to August: Receive climate science and design thinking training and develop your climate action project with your assigned team members.
- September to December: Create and pilot your climate action project with your community and local partner.
- January: Wrap up your project, identify key learnings and reconnect with the community stakeholders who are most impacted by the project outcomes.
- February: Share your project publicly and celebrate your impact with your community at the final event!
- The program will have both virtual and in-person elements. You will meet your team in-person every Tuesday evening from 5:30-7:30pm in July and August. Together, you will join virtual sessions over Zoom with teams from across the Greater Toronto Hamilton Area to learn from and support each other. Additional in-person meetings will be scheduled internally based on team availability.
- Please note: Climate Action Catalyst Team Leads will receive additional Leadership Development Training in June to prepare for the position.
- You're 16-24 years old.
- You live in the Greater Toronto Hamilton Area (GTHA) and are a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person who has been granted refugee status in Canada.
- You want to build skills and become a climate action advocate in your community.
- You can commit to:
- Volunteering approx. 4 hours per week from July-February and attend regular virtual and in-person trainings and meetings.
- Completing a climate action project in collaboration with a team and attend a final event in February 2023.
July 2022 - February 2023
For more information about Youth Challenge International’s Innovate MY Future program, visit www.youthclimateaction.ca.