A positive volunteer experience is our first priority. Whether you are volunteering with Mohawk or a community group, we encourage you to do your due diligence and ask the following questions before getting involved:
- What health and safety protocols, including any COVID-19 related protocols, are put in place to protect volunteers?
- How will I receive training for this volunteer role?
- Who will be my direct supervisor? Who can I contact if I have questions or concerns and my supervisor is unavailable?
Disclaimer: External organizations listed on this site are not always affiliated with Mohawk College. Volunteers should visit community organization websites to learn more about them. Volunteers should never send money or banking information to these organizations.
About the Organization
Based in Hamilton, Empowerment Squared is a Canadian charity that is building a world where everyone is empowered with the tools and opportunities to thrive and contribute to society. We do this by empowering newcomer and marginalized youth and communities in Canada and across the world to succeed through mentorship, access to post-secondary education, information literacy, and sports and recreation. Please see our website for more information about our programs and activities.
Empowerment Squared’s Youth Soccer Program is a co-ed program led by dedicated facilitators and volunteers promoting the qualities needed to live a healthy lifestyle and skill building for newcomer and marginalized youth from the ages of 5-13. The program is built to help attendees develop soccer skills in a non-competitive environment through use of scrimmages, skill based training, and team building activities aimed at encouraging healthy self-esteem & positive social interaction.
What impact will I make/what will I gain by volunteering?
- Provide a high-quality soccer program that participants may not have been able to experience as a result of financial restraints
- Help participants develop a love for exercise which is good for their mental and physical well-being
- Help participants learn new skills, make new friends, and build a sense of belonging through community
- Put your theoretical knowledge learned in the classroom in action by helping meeting the needs of the communities we serve by sharing your knowledge and expertise
- Meet and collaborate with a diverse group of leaders across different disciplines by working and learning together to increase each others knowledge and perspectives about social issues impacting members of our community
- Personal satisfaction of knowing and seeing the impact you are making on the lives of children and youth by helping them reach their full potential
Duties & Responsibilities
In your role as a mentor with the Sports and Recreation program, you will be responsible for
Fostering a positive and sufficiently challenging environment that helps participants, at various levels, to develop their soccer skills. You will also serve as a role model in terms of sportsmanship and standards of the game modelling the behaviours and actions to the young people you will be working with. Further, you will be working closely with programming staff to assist staff with coaching and supervising children, collecting and maintaining the sports equipment (i.e. inflating balls, collecting cones etc.) Adhere to and help enforce all safety & health protocols and create a fun, supportive, and inclusive environment where children can learn, make friends, and reach their full potential.
Relevant Skills & Qualifications
- Background in soccer is an asset but not required
- Enjoy being physically active outdoors and working with children ages 6-13
- Passionate about increasing the well-being of children from equity seeking groups
- Comfortable working with diverse populations that includes children, youth, and colleagues from different ethnic/cultural backgrounds
- Culturally sensitive and open to increasing ones capacity and knowledge of cultural awareness
- Acts and embraces Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) mindset
- Professional in behaviour, dress, communication skills
- Energetic, enthusiastic, responsible, reliable, punctual and consistent
- Able to commit to commit for the duration of the program (2 month commitment, once a week for 2 hrs)
- 16 years or older
- *asset to be fluent in Arabic, French, Farsi, Ukrainian
- Love for food, dance and laughter also an asset
Various shifts available
Apply today and make a difference through our website