A positive volunteer experience is our first priority. Whether you are volunteering with Mohawk or a community group, we encourage you to do your due diligence and ask the following questions before getting involved:
- What health and safety protocols, including any COVID-19 related protocols, are put in place to protect volunteers?
- How will I receive training for this volunteer role?
- Who will be my direct supervisor? Who can I contact if I have questions or concerns and my supervisor is unavailable?
Disclaimer: External organizations listed on this site are not always affiliated with Mohawk College. Volunteers should visit community organization websites to learn more about them. Volunteers should never send money or banking information to these organizations.
All volunteer positions listed are eligible for credit on your Co-Curricular Record (CCR). To learn more, visit www.mohawkcollege.ca/ccr
Larch After School Program Snack Creator
Our healthy snack component is based on the Canada Food Guide. Our Volunteer Nutritionist creates a rotational snack menu.
Menu items may include fruit and/or vegetables, mini pizza, bagel, nacho & cheese, grilled cheese, yogurt parfait just to name a few.
Our lead volunteer prepares snacks according to the planned schedule and places them on tables ready for student to eat.
Some snacks such as muffins may need to be prepared ahead of time.
Our volunteer would need to:
• Communicate with the coordinator regarding leftovers.
• Evaluate the snacks on an ongoing basis and communicate with the coordinator if changes need to be made to the menu.
• Develop relationships with other volunteers at Larch.
• Help develop self-esteem of children
• Develop skills related to working with children
• Develop own skills in food handling
A DAY AT LARCH:
Our program takes place every Tuesday & Thursday beginning in end of September and ends in early June.
1:45–2:00 Volunteers arrive at the Community House to prepare snack
3:25–4:00 Healthy Snacks
4:00–4:55 Clean up and preparation of second snack
4:55–5:00 Second Snack
5:00-5:25 Final Clean up and debriefing with coordinator if required
Please note that a volunteer training will take place before our program start date.
• We require a recent vulnerable sector police check.
1-5 hours per week.
For more information, please contact Rebecca Mallette.