Compass Community Health is looking for pathway to education volunteer tutors.
Pathways to Education is a community based program designed to reduce poverty and its effects by increasing the graduation rate among high school students from economically disadvantaged communities. The program offers academic, social, financial, and advocacy support to youth in order to increase their opportunity for success in high school and beyond.
Pathways to Education Volunteer Tutors work directly with youth participants supporting them academically and socially. The volunteer role is focused on Academic Tutoring support, but also provides informal social supports to youth participants.
Skills and Requirements
• Be able to support high school youth academically in one of our priority subject areas: Math, Science, English, French, English as a Second Language
• To participate consistently in program sessions, attending one session per week at the assigned location
• Build and maintain positive rapport with Pathways to Education youth participants
• To maintain a positive and upbeat demeanor with all youth
• Display care, compassion, patience and understanding
Duties and Responsibilities
• Supporting high school youth academically during each program session
• Working with youth to complete homework activities, prepare for tests or work on assignments and projects
• Working both one-to-one and in small groups
• Engaging youth in alternative academic activities provided by the program
• Acting as a positive adult role model during interactions with youth participants
• Occasional involvement in skill building workshops or recreational activities
Pathways to Education volunteers are asked to commit 1 evening per week, Monday to Thursday, during our program times 4:30 pm – 7:30 pm, at one of our three locations in central Hamilton
To learn more about becoming a Pathways to Education Volunteer, please contact Pathways to Education at: